What is Solar PV for Business?
Solar PV systems (PV stands for photovoltaic) are arrays of cells that convert sun light into electricity which can be used to run electrical appliances and lighting.
How do Solar PV Systems work?
Solar PV systems generate power by using photovoltaic cells to convert sunlight into electricity which can be used to partly power a building during daylight hours. Solar PV panels do not require direct sunlight to work – as long as there is daylight, electricity will be generated. Indeed, since it takes a surprisingly small amount of daylight to power solar panels, they will work anywhere in the UK, even on a cloudy day.
How do solar power photovoltaic cells work?
Each PV cell in photovoltaic solar panels is made from one or two layers of semiconducting material, usually silicon. When light shines on the cell it creates an electric field across the layers. The stronger the sunshine, the more electricity is produced. The strength of a PV cell is measured in kilowatt peak (kWp) – the amount of energy the cell generates in full sunlight.
The Benefits of Solar PV Panels
- Lowers utility bills and earns you income (tax-free for domestic properties)
- Generates electricity whenever there is daylight (even if you are away)
- Maintenance free system with no controls
- Long life and durable components
- Quick solar panel installation
- Future proofs your electricity price
- Lowers your carbon footprint as there are no emissions
- Adds value to the property
- Positive statement to the community